Lt. Col. Heather L. Carson is the Commander, 338th Recruiting Squadron, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. As commander, she plans, organizes, leads and controls the recruiting activities of eight enlisted accessions flights with approximately 97 active-duty and civilian personnel. The 338th RCS area of responsibility covers a region of 69,633 square miles with 35 recruiting offices and three Military Entrance Processing Stations spread across Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Illinois. Its mission is to inspire, engage and recruit the next generation of Airmen and Guardians.
In her previous assignment as the squadron section commander for the United States Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM), 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Lab, Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. Lieutenant Colonel Carson oversaw AFMC’s only enlisted military technical training school leading more than 500 Airmen through three Air Force Specialty Codes awarding pipeline programs.
Born at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, Lieutenant Colonel Carson hails from an Air Force family. She enlisted into the Air Force in June 1997, as a medical logistics apprentice. In 1999, she voluntarily transferred from her active duty to the Air Force Reserve where she cross-trained as a medical technician at Wright-Patterson AFB. In 2001, she transferred to the Kentucky Air National Guard. In 2002, she joined the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Louisville and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in 2004.
Lieutenant Colonel Carson has served in multiple positions at the Headquarters Air Force and at Air Force Material Command and has deployed twice in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.
2004 Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management, Cum Laude, University of Louisville, Louisville, Ky.
2004 Basic Manpower Officer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2004 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Management in Human Resource Management, University of Phoenix, Kadena Air Base, Japan.
2009 Squadron Office School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala, by correspondence
1. August 2004 – April 2007, Manpower Officer; OIC Wing Manpower Requirements, and later Squadron Section Commander, 18th Mission Support Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan
2. April 2007 – May 2007, Section Commander, 18th Mission Support Group, Kadena AB, Japan
3. May 2007 – January 2010, OIC, Military Promotions; Chief, Student Support Division, and later Operations Officer, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio (July 2008 – March 2009, Afghanistan National Army Force Structure Officer, Combined Security Transition Command-Afghanistan/CJ-7, Camp Eggers)
4. January 2010 – January 2011, Chief, Military Personnel Section, 88th Force Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. January 2011 – May 2013, Deputy Chief, A1 Smart Operations Division; Deputy Chief, A1 Unified Legislation and Budgeting Program, and later Chief, Personnel Services Delivery Transformation Program Management Plans, Plans and Integration, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. (November 2012 – April 2013, J1 Liaison, U.S. Central Command Forward Headquarters, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar)
6. May 2013 – April 2015, Action Officer then Legislative Lead, A1 Action Group, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
7. April 2015 – April 2016, Chief, Command Military Personnel Branch, Force Development Division, Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. April 2016 – July 2017, Deputy Commander, 88th Force Support Squadron, Wright-Patterson, AFB, Ohio
9. July 2017 – July 2018, Executive Officer to the Deputy Commander, Office of the Deputy Commander, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. July 2018 – June 2019, Squadron Section Commander, USAFSAM, 771th Human Performance Wing, Wright-Patterson, AFB, Ohio
11. June 2019 - Present, Commander, 338th Recruiting Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 22, 2004
First Lieutenant July 22, 2006
Captain July 22, 2008
Major February 1, 2015
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2019
(Current as of July 2019)