Lt. Col. Olivia D. Nelson is the Commander, 351st Recruiting Squadron, Air Force Reserve Command Recruiting Service, Marietta, Ga. The 351st Recruiting Squadron is comprised of more than 100 Active Reserve and civilian Airmen at more than 70 operating locations. The squadron’s recruiting territory encompasses the Southeastern United States, Puerto Rico, and Europe. She is responsible for enlisted, officer, in-service, and health professions accessions programs, as well as marketing, analysis, and training for the recruiters under her leadership.
Lt. Col. Nelson entered the Air Force in 1999 after receiving her commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Program at the University of Kentucky. Her career has included a variety of positions at the Wing, Numbered Air Force, Major Command and Air Staff levels. She served as primary spokesperson for the DoD Port Mortuary at Dover, Air Force, Base, and later joining the staff of the Secretary of the Air Force as a media engagement officer on the Air Force Press Desk. She deployed as media chief for Central Command Air Forces during major combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan in 2005. She later served as deputy director of Congressional Affairs, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General. Prior to this assignment, she served as Commander, AFROTC Detachment 060, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif. She assumed command of the 351st Recruiting Squadron in August 2019.
1999 Bachelor of Arts, Communications, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
2000 Joint Public Affairs Officer Course, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Md.
2001 Phoenix Readiness Mobility Operations Course, Air Mobility Warfare Center, Fort Dix, N.J. 2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Arts, International Relations, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla. 2008 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Joint Intermediate Public Affairs Course, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Md. 2015 Joint Senior Public Affairs Course, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Md.
2018 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- February 2000 - October 2001, Deputy Chief of Public Affairs, 305th Air Mobility Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
- Oct 2001 - February 2004, Deputy Chief of Public Affairs, 436th Airlift Wing, Dover AFB, Del.
- February 2004 - November 2004, Media Operations Officer, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
- November 2004 - July 2005, IMA to the Chief of Public Affairs, 16th Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- July 2005 - August 2009, Press Desk Officer, Secretary of the Air Force, Office of Public Affairs, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- August 2009 - November 2011, IMA to the Director of Public Affairs, 3rd Air Force, Ramstein AB, Germany.
- November 2011 - February 2013, IMA to the Deputy Director, Air Force Public Affairs Agency, San Antonio, Texas.
- February 2013 - July 2016, IMA to the Director of Public Affairs, 42nd Air Base Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- August 2016 - July 2017, Commander, Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps Detachment 060, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, Calif.
- August 2019 - Present, Commander, 351st Recruiting Squadron, Marietta, Ga.
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor, four oak leaf clusters Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal