Lieutenant Colonel Steven M. K. Cooper is the Commander, 330th Recruiting Squadron, San Antonio, Texas. He commands a team of 124 Special Warfare recruiters who scout, develop, and guide future Special Warfare and Combat Support Airmen to their combat calling. The 330th Recruiting Squadron is the largest squadron within Air Force Recruiting Service and its mission spans the entire country.
Lt. Col. Cooper was born in Baltimore, Md. He entered the Air Force in June 2004 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. Lt. Col. Cooper has led Special Tactics and Joint Forces in Operations ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, ODESSEY DAWN, INHERENT RESOLVE, UNIFIED PROTECTOR, and other contingency operations.
2004 Bachelor of Science in Military History, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2004 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2011 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2013 Master of Science in Leadership Studies, Capella University, graduate with distinction
2013 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2018 Master of Science in Defense Analysis, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2019 Program for Emerging Leaders, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
1. August 2004– December 2006, Student, Combat Control Pipeline, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2. December 2006 – April 2008, Flight Commander, 23rd Special Tactics Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
3. April 2008 – August 2009, Executive Officer, 720th Special Tactics Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. August 2009 – May 2012, Flight Commander, 321st Special Tactics Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, UK
5. May 2012 – April 2013, Student, 724th Special Tactics Group Operator Training Course, Pope AAF, N.C.
6. April 2013 – November 2016, Gold Troop, Assistant Director of Operations, Director of Operations, 24th Special Tactics Squadron, Pope AAF, N.C.
7. November 2016 – June 2018, Graduate Student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
8. August 2018 – August 2020, Commander, 23rd Special Tactics Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. August 2020 – Present, Commander, 330th Recruiting Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2005 Jerome Bennett Award (peer nominated), Combat Control School
2006 Honor Graduate, Air Force Combat Dive Course
2011 RAF Mildenhall CGOY, AFSOC Commando Leadership Award
2014 AFSOC Air Commando Leadership Award
2018 Outstanding USAF Graduate, Naval Postgraduate School
2020 Lance P. Sijan Award, Sr Officer category (wing level)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 2004
First Lieutenant June 2, 2006
Captain June 2, 2008
Major Sept 1, 2014
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2019
(Current as of August 2020)