Lt. Col. Matthew E. Tipton is the commander, 362nd Recruiting Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, California. He leads six enlisted accession flights with approximately 76 active-duty and nine civilian personnel. The 362nd RCS covers an over 149,000 square-mile area that includes part of Southern California and the entire state of Arizona. Its mission is to inspire, engage and recruit the brightest, most competitive and diverse men and women for service in America's Air Force.
Lt. Col. Tipton received his commission in 2003 through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps at the University of Alabama. After graduating from Combat Systems Officer Training at Randolph AFB, he was assigned as an electronic warfare officer to the EC-130H COMPASS CALL. In 2010 he was assigned to the 561st Joint Tactics Squadron where he worked advanced integration tactics, techniques, and procedures. In 2016, Lt. Col. Tipton was assigned as the military advisor to the Office of Security and Human Rights, U.S. Department of State where he oversaw security force assistance human rights vetting requests. Prior to his current assignment, Lt. Col. Tipton was the director of operations for the 42d Electronic Combat Squadron.
Lt. Col. Tipton is a senior navigator. He is married to Lindsay they have three awesome children: Duke, Laurel, and Cade.
2003 Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
2004 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Master of Arts in International Relations, Troy University, Troy Ala.
2015 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 2003 – September 2004, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Moody AFB, Ga.
2. October 2004 – September 2005, Student, Undergraduate Combat Systems Officer Training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. October 2005 – January 2007, Student, EC-130H Initial Qualification Training, 42d Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
4. January 2007 – May 2009, Weapons and Tactics Officer, Chief of Ground Training, and Instructor EC-130H Mission Crew Commander, 43d Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. June 2009 – December 2010, Flight Commander, Simulator Training Flight, Evaluator EC-130H Mission Crew Commander, 42d Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. December 2010 – July 2014, EC-130H Subject Matter Expert, Flight Commander, and Assistant Director of Operations, 561st Joint Tactics Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. July 2014 – June 2015, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. June 2015 – February 2016, Political Advisor, 65th Air Base Group, Lajes Field, Portugal
9. February 2016 – November 2018, Military Advisor, Office of Security and Human Rights, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor, U.S. Department of State, Washington D.C.
10. November 2018 – May 2020, Director of Operations, 42d Electronic Combat Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. June 2020 – Current, Commander, 362nd Recruiting Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with one bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 17, 2003
First Lieutenant May 28, 2005
Captain May 28, 2007
Major November 1, 2013
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2020)