Lt. Col. Jay H. “SPINS” Park is the Commander, Detachment 1, Air Force Recruiting Services, at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. As the commander, he oversees the execution of all detachment operations, which are dedicated to informing, influencing, inspiring American youth toward a career in aviation while serving in the Air Force. These programs utilize more than 450 Air Force rated officers to reach more than 150,000 youth annually.
Lieutenant Colonel Park was commissioned in December 2005 as a graduate of the ROTC program at the University of Oklahoma. He has served in a variety of positions across the United States and around the world, to include deployments in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Inherent Resolve.
As a Master Instructor, Lieutenant Colonel Park has instructed over 700 students since his first tour as a T-38C Talon instructor where he taught student pilots and weapons systems officers (WSOs) the fundamentals of flying fighter aircraft. Additionally, he served as a T-1A Jayhawk instructor, teaching undergraduate combat systems officer trainees fundamental skills required to succeed in their future aircraft.
Lieutenant Colonel Park has more than 300 combat hours as an F-15E Strike Eagle WSO.
2005 Bachelor of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Oklahoma, Okla.
2013 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2015 Master of Arts, Human Relations, University of Oklahoma, Okla.
2019 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. January 2006 – April 2008, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
2. May 2008 – June 2009, Student, Basic Course, 334th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
3. July 2009 – June 2012, F-15E Weapon Systems Officer, 492nd Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
4. July 2012 – June 2016, Instructor, T-38C Weapon Systems Officer, 435th Fighter Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas.
5. July 2016 – July 2018, Deputy Chief, Master Air Attack Plans, 607th Air Operations Center, Osan Air Base, South Korea.
6. August 2018 – January 2020, Instructor, T-1A Combat Systems Officer, 451st Flying Training Squadron, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
7. February 2020 – August 2020, Chief, Instructor Training School, 479th Operations Support Squadron, Pensacola, Fla.
8. September 2020 – April 2021, Director of Operations, Air Force Recruiting Squadron, Detachment 1, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas.
9. May 2021 – Present, Commander, AFRS Detachment 1, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas.
Rating: Senior Combat Systems Officer
Flight hours: More than 1,300
Aircraft flown: T-6, T-1A, T-38C, F-15E
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant January 1, 2006
First Lieutenant January 1, 2008
Captain January 1, 2010
Major April 1, 2016
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2021
(Current as of June 2021)