U.S. Space Force Lt. Col. Aaron W. Celaya is the Commander, 364th Recruiting Squadron, McClellan Park, Calif. Celaya is responsible for all Air Force recruiting covering 99,000 square-miles in Northern and Central California. He directs and operates the recruiting activities of seven enlisted accession flights with approximately 90 active-duty and 10 civilian personnel. The 364th Recruiting Squadron is located in Sacramento, Calif., and its mission is to inspire, engage and recruit future Airmen and Guardians for service in America's Air and Space Force.
Lt. Col. Celaya entered the Air Force in September 2005 as a graduate of the Air Force ROTC program at Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. Additionally, he resigned his Air Force commission and entered the Space Force in October 2020. His career has included numerous operations and staff positions in Air Force Space Command, Air Force Global Strike Command, Air Education and Training Command, the United States Air Force Academy, and Space Operations Command.
Lt. Col. Celaya was an Air Force Institute of Technology Doctoral Student studying at New College and the Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, United Kingdom. Lt. Col. Celaya’s research investigated metacognition through decision confidence in human-machine teaming with an emphasis on algorithmic advisement sources. His research was conducted within the Attention and Cognitive Control Laboratory which is part of the Department of Experimental Psychology at the University of Oxford.
2005 Bachelor of Science, Sociology, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
2005 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Distinguished Graduate, Milstar Space-Ground Link System Course, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2011 Master of Science, Psychology, Capella University, Minneapolis, Minn.
2012 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 Doctor of Philosophy, Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, United Kingdom (in progress)
ASSIGNMENTS OR CAREER CHRONOLOGY
1. September 2005 – July 2006, Student, 392nd Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
2. July 2006 – May 2009, ICBM Combat Crew Commander, 10th Missile Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. May 2009 – April 2010, ICBM Combat Crew Instructor Commander, 341st Operations Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
4. April 2010 – July 2010, Chief, ICBM Operations Crew Scheduling, 341st Operations Support Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
5. July 2010 – September 2010, Student, 533rd Training Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
6. September 2010 – May 2011, Protected Satellite Communications Satellite Vehicle Operator, 4th Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
7. May 2011 – May 2013, Commander, Operations Flight, 1st Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
8. May 2013 – July 2013, Assistant Director of Operations, 1st Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
9. July 2013 – July 2014, Wing Executive Officer, Schriever AFB, Colo.
10. July 2014 – January 2015, Instructor, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
11. January 2015 – April 2015, Program Manager and Instructor, Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
12. April 2015 – September 2016, Research Center Director of Operations and Senior Instructor, Warfighter Effectiveness Research Center, Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
13. September 2016 – September 2019, Air Force Institute of Technology Doctoral Student, New College, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
14. September 2019 – June 2021, Deputy Chief Scientist & Deputy Branch Chief for Doctrine and Concepts, Space Operations Command Headquarters, Peterson-Schriever Garrison, Colo.
15. June 2021- Present, Commander, 364th Recruiting Squadron, McClellan Park, Calif.
Minuteman III ICBM
Rapid Execution and Combat Targeting – A
Milstar Satellite, Space-Ground Link System
Command and Control System-Consolidated
Operationally Responsive Space-1 Satellite
Multi-Mission Satellite Operations System
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Remote Combat Effects Campaign Medal with two bronze service stars
Air & Space Campaign Medal
Senior Space Operations Badge
Missile Operations Badge
Basic Parachutist Badge
“Confidence and Trust in Human-Machine Teaming,” Journal of the Homeland Defense & Security Information Analysis Center (HDIAC), October 2019
“Human Psychology and Intelligent Machines,” NATO Defense College, Research Division, December 2019
“A Foundation of Automation for Future Artificial Intelligence Strategy,” Journal of the HDIAC, June 2020
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Professional Member, Human Factors & Ergonomics Society (HFES) Perception & Performance Technical Group, HFES
Cognitive Engineering & Decision Making Technical Group, HFES Human AI Robot Teaming Technical Group, HFES
Graduate Student Affiliate, Association for Psychological Science Professional Member, American Psychological Association (APA) Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Division 2 of the APA
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 6, 2005
First Lieutenant Sept. 6, 2007
Captain Sept. 6, 2009
Major Feb. 1, 2016
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 1, 2020
(CURRENT AS OF July 2021)