Lt. Col. Jesse P. Somann is the Commander, 367th Recruiting Squadron, Colorado Springs, Colorado. He is responsible for 10 flights and 82 personnel throughout eight states in the western United States between Wyoming and Texas.
Lt. Col. Somann entered the Air Force in 2004 through Air Force ROTC at the Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, Indiana. He has led in various positions in Air Force acquisitions, instructing and recruiting. Lt Col Somann has previously deployed as a staff officer at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti. He taught and recruited at both the U.S. Air Force Academy and the University of Wisconsin – Madison and was Director of Operations for the Air Force Research Laboratory’s largest division with approximately 600 personnel.
Prior to his current position, Lt. Col. Somann served as Deputy Head of Electrical and Computer Engineering at USAFA where he directed plans and actions for the department’s instruction of 1,400 students each year.
2004 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, Ind.
2004 Air and Space Basic Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio
2010 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2018 Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
2020 Air War College, by correspondence
1. July 2004 – March 2006, Masters Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio
2. April 2006 – March 2008, Electronic Warfare Engineer, Air Force Research Lab, Sensors Directorate, WPAFB, Dayton, Ohio
3. March 2008 – June 2009, Avionics Program Manager, A-10 Program Office, WPAFB, Dayton, Ohio
4. July 2009 – July 2012, Recruiting Flight Commander, Air Force ROTC Detachment 925, Madison, Wis.
5. December 2010 – June 2011, Contracting Officer Representative, Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti
6. July 2012 – July 2014, Resource Director / Instructor of Electrical Engineering, USAFA, Colorado Springs, Colo.
7. July 2014 – July 2015, Division Chief / Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering, USAFA, Colorado Springs, Colo.
8. July 2015 – August 2018, Doctorate Student, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
9. August 2018 – January 2019, Principal Investigator, AFRL Applied Biotech Branch, WPAFB, Dayton, Ohio
10. February 2019 – June 2020, Deputy Chief, Air Force Research Laboratory Applied Biotech Branch, WPAFB, Dayton, Ohio
11. June 2020 – June 2021, Director of Operation, AFRL Warfighter Interactions & Readiness Division, WPAFB, Dayton, Ohio
12. June 2021 – June 2022, Deputy Head, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, USAFA, Colorado Springs, Colo.
13. June 2022 – Present, Commander, 367th Recruiting Squadron, Colorado Springs, Colo.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Navy Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2014 USAFA Dean of Faculty Field Grade Officer of the Year
2020 Airman Systems Directorate Field Grade Officer of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 16, 2004
First Lieutenant June 16, 2006
Captain June 16, 2008
Major December 1, 2014
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2019
(Current as of August, 2022)