Col. Joel N. Brown is the Commander, 360th Recruiting Group, New Cumberland, Pennsylvania. He leads more than 900 exceptional Airmen and Guardians across 21 states and Europe. He is responsible for enlisted accessions and a variety of officer accessions programs that sustain the combat capability of the Air Force and Space Force.
Col. Brown was commissioned in 2000 following graduation from the United States Air Force Academy. His assignments include serving as an Operations Analyst, leading the modeling and simulation efforts for the Joint Air to Surface Standoff Missile, service as the Executive Officer to the Director at Air Force Research Laboratory’s Information Directorate, where he played a key role in developing AFRL’s research and development roadmap, in Kosovo as KFOR J5’s Lead Planner, and in U.S. Air Force Europe’s A9 as its Analysis, Red Teaming, and Lessons Learned Branch Chief.
Col. Brown has also taught Philosophy and Professional Military Ethics at the U.S. Air Force Academy, commanded the 345th Recruiting Squadron, and prior to his current assignment served as the Vice Commander of the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, overseeing 1,800 military and civilian employees across 18 locations ensuring the safety, security, availability, and effectiveness of two-thirds of the nation’s nuclear triad.
2000 Bachelor of Science in Operations Research, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2007 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. (distinguished graduate)
2008 Master of Arts in Philosophy, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2012 Doctor of Philosophy, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
2013 Master of Arts in Military Operational Art, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (distinguished graduate)
2015 Air War College, by correspondence
1. May 2000 – August 2003, Test & Evaluation Analyst, Det. 1, 31st Test and Evaluation Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2. September 2003 – December 2006, Program Manager, C2 Systems, Executive Officer, AFRL/Information Directorate, Rome, N.Y.
3. January 2007 – February 2010, Flight Commander, Support & Operations Flights, 313th RCS, North Syracuse, N.Y.
4. February 2011 – August 2011, J5 Plans Officer, Operation Joint Enterprise, Kosovo Force, NATO, Pristina, Kosovo
5. February 2010 – June 2012, Red Team & Lessons Learned Branch Chief, United States Air Forces in Europe/A9AL, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
6. July 2012 – July 2013, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. August 2013 – June 2013, Assistant Professor of Philosophy, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
8. June 2016 – July 2018, Commander, 345th RCS, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. July 2018 – July 2021, Assistant Professor of Philosophy & Senior Military Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. August 2021 – February 2022, Deputy Director, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Technology & Integration Directorate, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
11. February 2022 – June 2022, Vice Commander, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. June 2022 – Present, Commander, 360th Recruiting Group, New Cumberland, Pa.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air and Space Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Medal
Air Force Recruiter Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 2000
First Lieutenant May 31, 2002
Captain May 31, 2004
Major Feb. 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2015
Colonel September 1, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)