Mr. Barry A. Dickey is the Director of Strategic Marketing, Air Force Recruiting Service, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. He leads a team of 35 Active Duty, Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and civilian personnel who provide marketing and advertising for all components of the United States Air Force and the United States Space Force. His team also creates and manages world-wide outreach and engagement opportunities for enlisted, officer, and civilian recruiters, all in an effort to attract the best and brightest Americans to serve as Airmen and Space Professionals.
Mr. Dickey graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in June 1993. He served for three years as an aircraft maintenance officer and earned his navigator wings in 1998. He has been an instructor navigator and flight examiner at the squadron and major command levels. His staff assignments include serving as Air Mobility Command’s chief C-130 evaluator navigator, special actions officer for the commander, Air Mobility Command, and chief of deliberate plans, U.S. Special Operations Command.
Mr. Dickey retired from active duty service in the rank of Colonel and was a master navigator with over 2,500 hours in the C-130E/H1/H3, including over 300 combat hours and 31 combat airdrops.
1993 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2010 Air War College, by correspondence
2013 Master of Strategic Studies, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. August 1993 – December 1993, student, Aircraft/Munitions Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. January 1994 – November 1996, aircraft maintenance officer, 28th Bomb Squadron and 7th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. November 1996 – April 1998, student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla., and Randolph AFB, Texas
4. April 1998 – May 2001, flight commander, chief navigator, and instructor navigator, 50th Airlift Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. May 2001 – July 2002, flight commander, group aircrew training, instructor navigator, 463rd Operations Support Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. July 2002 – July 2005, chief navigator, chief of standardization and evaluation, assistant director of operations, 517th Airlift Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
7. July 2005 – February 2008, command evaluator navigator, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. February 2008 – June 2009, special actions officer, commander’s action group, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. June 2009 – December 2009, operations officer, 19th Operations Support Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
10. December 2009 – December 2010, commander, 532nd Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron, Al Asad Air Base, Iraq
11. December 2010 – July 2012, deputy commander, 19th Operations Group, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
12. July 2012 – June 2013, student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
13. June 2013 – August 2014, chief of deliberate plans, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
14. August 2014 – June 2015, faculty instructor, Department of Military Strategy, Planning, and Operations, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
15. June 2015 – June 2017, Vice Commander, 42nd Air Base Wing, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. June 2017 – June 2018, Director of Staff, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
17. February 2019 - Present, Director of Strategic Marketing, JBSA-Randolph, Tex.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 2,500
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one device
Southwest Asia Service Medal with one device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Iraqi Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Oct. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 1, 2008
Colonel Feb. 1, 2015
(Current as of September 2021)