Col. Michelle Coumbs is the Commander, 367th Recruiting Group, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. She leads nearly 500 exceptional Airman and civilian personnel across more than 240 locations worldwide, responsible for a variety of accession programs and recruiting operations that sustain the combat capability of the Air Force Reserve. Additionally, she provides direction to four AFRC recruiting squadrons and serves as an advisor to Air Force Reserve Command senior staff on reserve recruiting matters.
Col. Coumbs enlisted in the Air Force in 1992, before receiving an active-duty commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program at the University of North Dakota, June 2003, as a Maintenance officer. She transitioned to the Air Force Reserve in 2005 as a personnel and manpower Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA). Since then, she has held a variety of statuses and positions at the squadron, group, division, major command and combatant command level across the United States and overseas. Prior to her current position, the Colonel served as Deputy Chief of Strategy and Integration, as IMA, assigned to the Commander’s Accelerated Initiatives Office (CDX), Headquarters, Air Force Reserve Command.
Col. Coumbs previously served as chief, operations and training division at Air Force Reserve Recruiting Service, Headquarters, Robins AFB, Georgia, and as operations officer for the Air Force Reserve Recruiting Service’s central recruiting squadron in Fort Worth, Texas. Additionally, she commanded the 307th Force Support Squadron, 307th Bomb Wing, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana, where she was responsible for the effective management and operations of an 120+ personnel squadron, five flights and more than $1 million in assets, providing manpower, military and civilian personnel, education and training, airman and family services, installation personnel readiness, services and communication support to 1,800 wing personnel, across 14 squadrons, five groups, and wing staff.
1998 Associate Degree in Atmospheric Sciences, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Bachelor of Science in Management/Human Resources, University North Dakota, N.D.
2006 Master of Arts in Education, Instruction/Curriculum, Phoenix University, Ariz.
2008 Mission Support Flight Chief/Human Resource Course, Eaker Center, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Squadron Officer School (by correspondence), Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2012 Junior Officer Leadership Development (JOLD)
2014 Leadership Today and Tomorrow, Washington, D.C.
2015 AFRC CPI Green Belt Course
2016 AF CPI Black Belt Course, Eaker Center, Air University. Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Air Command and Staff College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2020 Squadron Commanders Course, AFRC Professional Development Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
2022 Master of Strategic Studies, Air War College, in-residence, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala
1. November 1992 – December 1992, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. December 1992 – April 1993, Technical Training, Weather Apprentice, Chanute AFB, Ill.
3. April 1993 – November 1995, Weather Technician, Nellis AFB, Nev.
4. November 1995 – November 1996, Weather Technician, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
5. December 1996 – June 1997, Non-Obligated Reserve Section Air Reserve Personnel Center, Colo.
6. June 1997 - January 1999, Air Operations Air Technician, 174th FW NYANG, Hancock Field, N.Y.
7. January 1998 – July 1999, Technical Training, Weather Forecaster, Keesler AFB, Miss.
8. July 1999 – October 2000, Weather Forecaster, Seymour-Johnson AFB, N.C.
9. October 2000 – September 2002, Weather Forecasting Team Chief, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
10. September 2002 – June 2003, Reserve Officer Training Corps, University of North Dakota, N.D.
11. June 2003 – January 2005, Flight Commander, Maintenance Flight, 7th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
12. January 2005 – February 2007, Action Officer, A5/8, Plans & Programs Directorate, HQ United States Forces Europe, Ramstein, Germany
13. February 2007 – January 2008, Officer-In-Charge, Customer Support, 65th Mission Support Squadron, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
14. January 2008 – December 2009, Military Personnel Section Commander, 65th Mission Support Squadron, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
15. December 2009 – December 2011, Deputy AF Branch Chief, J1, HQ United States Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
16. December 2011 – June 2013, Executive Officer, Readiness Management Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
17. June 2013 – June 2015, Operations Officer, AFR Recruiting Service, Central Recruiting Squadron, Ft. Worth, Texas
18. Jul 2015 – September 2016, Deputy Chief, Manpower, Organizations and Resources Division, HQ AFRC/A1, Robins AFB, Ga.
19. September 2016 – May 2017, Executive Officer, Manpower, Personnel and Services Directorate, HQ AFRC/A1, Robins AFB, Ga.
20. May 2017 – September 2018, Chief, Recruiting Operations and Training Division, HQ AFRC RS, Robins AFB, Ga.
21. September 2018 – March 2020, Deputy Chief, Readiness and Plans Division, HQ AFRC/A1, Robins AFB, Ga.
22. February 2020 – July 2021, Commander, 307th Force Support Squadron, 307th Bomb Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
23. July 2021 – May 2022, Student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
24. May 2022 – May 2023, Deputy Chief (IMA), AFRC/CDX Strategy and Integration, Robins AFB, Ga.
25. June 2023 - present, Commander, 367 Recruiting Group, AFRS, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Longevity Service Award with two oak leaf clusters
USAF NCO PME Graduate Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 13, 2003
First Lieutenant June 13, 2005
Captain June 13, 2007
Major March 13, 2013
Lieutenant Colonel August 31, 2018
Colonel June 3, 2023
(CURRENT AS OF JUNE 2023)